Superfoods & Antioxidants
At Popeye’s Supplements we offer a wide variety of Superfood Greens and Antioxidant products, all unique in their own way so you are sure to find the right one for you!
Greens and Antioxidant products are often referred to as “Superfoods”. They are typically a blend of various plant-based ingredients, such as leafy greens, grasses, algae, fruits and vegetables. These products offer a solution to a modern problem, a lack of consistent high-quality food in our diets. Currently 2-3 cups of vegetables are recommended per day, and only 9% of Americans get that in their diet. This low intake of vegetables is cause for concern due to the nutrient density that vegetables provide, including vitamins, minerals and fiber. The low intake is directly associated with chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer and type 2 diabetes.
Supplementing with a “Superfood” product is a great way to ensure you are getting an adequate intake of greens and all of the vitamins, minerals, enzymes and benefits associated with them.
Here are some key ingredients to look for that pack a nutrient dense punch:
- Spirulina: Spirulina is a good source of protein, containing all essential amino acids. It is rich in antioxidants, including phycocyanin, which helps reduce inflammation and protect against oxidative stress. Studies suggest that it may have immune boosting effects, potentially due to its high nutrient content and anti0inflammatory effects. It can help to lower cholesterol, which reduces the risk of heart disease. It can also help with blood sugar control, specially in people with type 2 diabetes. Finally, some studies have shown that spirulina has the ability to help remove toxins from our bodies.
- Chlorella: Chlorella is extremely rich in nutrients, including protein, vitamins, and minerals including iron, Vitamin B12 and Magnesium. It has antioxidant benefits which help fight against oxidative stress. It can help with detoxifying, including removing heavy metals from the body. It supports immune function, due to its antioxidant and nutrient density. It may help with blood sugar control, and finally helps maintain a healthy gut through the promotion of growing beneficial gut bacteria.
- Wheat Grass: Wheat Grass is extremely nutrient dense, offering vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin A, C and E, as well as iron, calcium and magnesium. It has antioxidant and anti0inflammatory benefits, and may help support blood sugar control. Wheat grass also supports digestive health through the promotion of growing beneficial gut bacteria, and can help increase natural energy levels.
- Goji Berry: Goji Berries are extremely high in antioxidants which help fight against oxidative stress. They also support immune function, blood sugar control, skin health and natural energy levels. Last but not least, due to the zeaxanthin and lutein content, Goji Berries are good for eye health.
- Barley Grass: Barley Grass is nutrient dense, high in Vitamins A, C, E and minerals such as Iron, Calcium and Magnesium. It also has antioxidant benefits, helps with blood sugar control, aids in digestive health, supports a healthy heart and has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Acai Berries: Acai berries are extremely high in antioxidants, help support a healthy heart, improve immune function, help with cognitive function, reduce inflammation and help to improve skin health.
As you can see what these all have in common are the fact that they are all nutrient dense and have antioxidant properties. So why are antioxidants important?
Antioxidants are compounds that help to prevent or reduce damage to cells caused by free radicals, which are unstable molecules that can cause oxidative stress and damage to cells. Some of the potential benefits of antioxidants include:
- Reducing inflammation: Antioxidants may help to reduce inflammation in the body, which is a key contributor to many chronic diseases, including heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
- Protecting against oxidative stress: Antioxidants can help to protect cells from damage caused by free radicals, which can contribute to the development of chronic diseases.
- Supporting immune function: Antioxidants can help to support a healthy immune system by protecting immune cells from damage and reducing inflammation.
- Supporting heart health: Antioxidants may help to lower the risk of heart disease by reducing inflammation, protecting against oxidative stress, and improving blood vessel function.
- Supporting brain health: Some studies have suggested that antioxidants may help to protect against cognitive decline and reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease and other forms of dementia.
- Supporting skin health: Antioxidants may help to protect against skin damage caused by UV radiation, pollution, and other environmental factors, which can lead to premature aging and other skin problems.
Some great options include:
- Progressive VegeGreens, which offers 6-8 servings of vegetables per scoop, including ingredients like Chlorella, Wheat Grass, Barley, Alfalfa, Spirulina and more. Also available in a Popeye’s Value Size offering Best-In-Class cost per serving.
- Progressive Phytoberry, contains 40 fruit concentrates, including Goji Berry, Acai, Blueberries, Pomegranate, Indian Gooseberry and Mangosteen Berry. Offering full body antioxidants in a Popeye’s Value Size for Best-In-Class cost per serving.
- ATP Greens ad Reds, offering a combination of both Greens and Berries. ATP Greens and Reds is a great all in one Superfood product