At Popeye’s Supplements we offer a wide variety of pre workouts, all unique in their own way so you will be sure to find the right one for you!
Pre workout supplements are far more then just caffeinated products, and quite a few options that we carry actually have no caffeine at all. Pre workouts are designed to be taken prior to exercise to help enhance athletic performance. Pre workouts typically contain a combination of ingredients to help with energy, focus, endurance, recovery and hydration during training.
Some of the most popular and effective ingredients that you may find in a pre workout include L-Citrulline, Beta Alanine, Creatine, Betaine, Agmatine, Tyrosine, Nootropics and Caffeine. Each one of these ingredients helps overall performance in their own way and each product will have unique blends including some of these.
Here are the benefits of each of these ingredients:
- L-Citrulline helps in a few areas, the main one being that it improves nitric oxide production. L-Citrulline is converted into L-Arginine in the body, which is then converted into Nitric Oxide. This helps with increased blood flow leading to improved oxygen and nutrient delivery. Some studies suggest that it can help reduce fatigue, and improve cardiovascular function.
- Beta Alanine helps to increase carnosine levels. Beta-Alanine is converted into carnosine in the body, which helps to buffer hydrogen ions produced during high-intensity exercise. By increasing carnosine levels, beta-alanine may help delay muscular fatigue. Beta-alanine may cause an itchy sensation, so if you are sensitive to that you may want to find a pre workout with it, or a lower dose.
- Agmatine helps to reduce muscular pain, in studies it has been shown to have analgesic effects, meaning it helps by inhibiting the activity of pain receptors in the body. This can be extremely beneficial for helping to push sets further in the gym. Some evidence also suggest that it can help to improve nitric oxide production, cognitive function and mood.
- Creatine is the most studied supplement ever with plenty of evidence to support the following benefits. Creatine helps increase muscle strength and power, studies have shown this in both trained and untrained individuals. This is due to the increase in ATP production, the primary energy source for muscles. Studies have also shown an increase in muscle mass, recovery and cognitive function.
- Betaine helps to increase exercise performance. Studies have shown that it has a benefit particularly in activities that involve high-intensity exercise. This is due to its ability to increase power output and reduce fatigue. Evidence also shows that it may help increase muscle mass, reduce inflammation, improve cardiovascular health, liver function and potential cognitive benefits including memory and attention.
- Tyrosine helps to improve cognitive function. Evidence shows that Tyrosine supplementation has cognitive benefits including improved memory, focus and attention. It may also help to reduce stress and fatigue as well as improve sports performance by reducing fatigue and improving endurance.
- Nootropics, also known as cognitive enhancers or smart drugs, help improve cognitive function, including memory, focus, creativity and motivation.
- Caffeine’s main known benefit is increased energy and focus. What is less known is the fact that caffeine helps increase muscle strength output and contraction strength.
The potential benefits of pre-workout supplements may include:
- Increased energy and focus: Pre-workout supplements often contain caffeine and other stimulants that can help increase energy, focus, and motivation to exercise.
- Enhanced endurance and performance: Some pre-workout supplements contain ingredients that are thought to delay fatigue and improve endurance, such as beta-alanine or nitric oxide boosters.
- Improved muscle pumps: Some pre-workout supplements contain ingredients that are thought to improve blood flow and increase muscle pumps, such as citrulline or arginine.
- Convenience: Pre-workout supplements can be a convenient way to increase energy and performance before exercise, particularly for individuals who have busy schedules or need an extra boost of energy.
Some great options include:
- Beyond Yourself Superset offers a massive 30g scoop containing 8g of L-Citrulline, 4g of Beta-Alanine, 3g of Taurine, 1.5g Tyrosine, 1.47g Agmatine and 300mg of Caffeine. Also available in a Popeye’s Exclusive size offering best-in-class cost per serving.
- Magnum Limitless offers 3g of L-Citrulline, 2.5g of Creatine Monohydrate, 1.6g of Beta-Alanine, 1g of Betaine and 150mg of Caffeine per scoop, as well as an amazing flavor profile!
- ANS Ritual offers 4g of L-Citrulline, 2g of Beta-Alanine, 1.5g of Betaine, 1g of Taurine and 200mg of Caffeine per scoop